Saturday, August 4, 2012

thibaults keeping busy

The Thibaults enjoying the sun and cold water in Speafish.


Bridal Veil Falls photo op with the "honeymooners."
Spearfish Canyon Creek.
Between setting up our home, setting up my library, and entertaining guests, Ty and I have been keeping pretty occupied.  Tyler's dad came in for the weekend and we did some serious exploring.  

We drove all over "west river."  For you southern folks, people up here have divided the state in two: West River and East River...the river being the Missouri.  Took me a little while to figure that one out, but had much help from my fellow librarians.  

First trek through Sturgis.  We have already seen tons of bikers and I felt left out.  Can't wait to see JOURNEY at the Sturgis Rally!

Tyler was not being a good sport...

Main Street.  NOT busy...JUST WAIT.
 The roads here have been heavily populated with bikers.  One almost took us out, well, we almost took him out.  Everyone is preaching safety, so hopefully everyone remains safe.  I'm so pumped about the Sturgis Rally.  I'm heading to Goodwill tomorrow in search of leather.  I want to fit in this coming week with the thousands of other biker tourists.  Look for a fun blog update about my adventures at Sturgis.  Tyler is not looking forward to it, but I did bike several miles uphill just for him when we first moved...I think he can trek through several miles of bikers for me. 


Spearfish Canyon creek.




Tyler had to climb up to see the falls for a closer view.  He's insane.  Pretty sure our insurance will not cover injuries sustained at Bridal Veil Falls. 

 Traveling through Spearfish Canyon was stunning and truly awe inspiring.  Free with the exception of gas, anyone can drive through and stop at Bridal Veil Falls.  If you look at the top of the waterfall, the pattern mimics that of a bridal veil.  Neat!  We loved the scenic route a bit too much and took a very long "detour" to get back to the city.  Instead of making our way back to Deadwood, we ended up in Hill City.  The joys of getting lost on dirt roads and trying to figure out how to get to civilization without being able to use our iPhones is always entertaining.  I finished a whole book on day 1 of our travels.  


The gorgeous view Tyler got from climbing so high.
Do you see it?  The veil?
The water was cool, refreshing, and "clean"

We made a stop at Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse.  Both allowed us in for FREE since Tyler is an active military man.  From what I remember, Mt. Rushmore has a parking fee of around $10-15 and Crazy Horse has an insane fee of $30.  Tyler and I both agreed that Crazy Horse memorial is great; however, not worth that much money.  We would suggest going with someone who is active or waiting until the Volksmarch in June.  We weren't able to get any closer to the monument on just this regular visit.  It is rather cool though that the monument has not accepted any federal funding and plans on obtaining money through the "people."  Most probably why the price to get into the museum was so high.  

I am looking forward to going back on September 6th for their night blast.  Also, check out their website for days when admission is free!  You can find their info at  http://www.crazyhorsememorial.org/pdf/2012-calendar-of-events.pdf .





Day 2 of Mr. Rudy's trip included fishing with Rob (and time for me to catch up on some school work...and read of course).  After having seafood gumbo on Day 1 thanks to Mr. Rudy and Tyler's mad cooking skills, we had some delicious fried fish thanks to Tyler's mad fishing abilities.  We are waiting on our DuceRod (hint, hint).  What a great couple of days for both me and my ever growing appetite for Tyler's cooking. 






I'm so spoiled!
Gumbo from the night before.


No comments:

Post a Comment