Friday, August 31, 2012

best. cookies. ever.

My momma always said, "Charm them with food."  Okay, I really don't remember her saying just that but she proved that southern ladies butter up their co-workers and friends with dishes, sweets, and treats.  
Batter of the gods

Finished and ready to eat!  Not as golden as most cookies but these are done!

Here is my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I first made these cookies for Marci and my 23? birthday.  The cookies looked so pretty and tasted wonderful.  I just rediscovered the recipe and made half a batch for Tyler's co-workers and then half a batch for a snack at a workshop I participated in as well as my new co-workers.  You'll see, the recipe could literally feed an army or a group of Air Force men and women. 

Below is the link for the recipe I used.  Thanks to Deb and allrecipes.com!  

Ingredients:
  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 cups butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract I like to use a little bit more!
  • 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips I use both mini and regular sized chocolate chips.
  • 2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)I don't use walnuts but I'm sure they make even better cookies.

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. I like to warm the butter in the preheating oven and then stir in the brown sugar first.  It seems to blend better.  Just remember not to melt the butter...just room temp will work.  Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown. Here is the best tip...pull them out of the oven before you think they are done.  Mine don't get too golden.  A good trick I use is to tilt the cookie sheet to one side.  If the cookies don't slide, they are ready.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/award-winning-soft-chocolate-chip-cookies/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=award%20winning%20chocolate%20chip%20cookies&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page 

Also, I've become obsessed with raspberries and keep adding them to everything.  I made funfetti cupcakes and threw some berries in the batter.  Delicious.  Making semi-homemade treats is what makes me so great at baking.  Ha.  I always get muffin mixes and then just add fresh blueberries and raspberries.  I can't get enough.  Enjoy!


Cupcakes right out of the oven.  I couldn't wait for them to cool so I just poured on some icing and enjoyed this magnificent treat. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh em g.... Melissa can we live in BR together again?! I miss the funfetti cupcakes with my favorite icing! Miss you

    ReplyDelete