Wednesday, April 24, 2013

igloos

That's right, IGLOOS!!!  Tyler wasn't in town for the first April blizzard and I was so disappointed we couldn't play in the snow together.  Thankfully another blizzard was just around the corner.  Some of my church friends were talking about how much fun they had making igloos.  Igloos?  How in the world do you make igloos?  I was hooked on finding out.  After detailed conversations with co-workers (remember, guys, I have never experienced snow), I knew Ty and I could make a killer igloo.  
Inside our igloo.  We fit, our dogs fit, and our mimosas fit. 

The very beginning.  Step 1: find a huge snow mound.  

Step 2: Keep the champagne and OJ cold until ready to serve.

Step 3: Shovel.

Step 4: Shovel. 

I was very apprehensive to sit inside the igloo for fear of it falling in on top of me.  However, we created such a large space that I didn't mind it.  Yes, for all you non-Eskimos, it was much, much warmer in the igloo.  The infamous South Dakota wind was blowing hard and the snow was still coming down.  Inside our igloo I sat back with a mimosa in hand and admired our work.  I did shovel much snow...I just don't have photographic evidence.  
Step 5: Keep shoveling while taking breaks to admire your work.

Step 6: ENJOY!  Our igloo fit Tyler, Billie, Nola, and myself.  The dogs for some reason wanted to go and play out in the snow.  We had trouble making them stay.



Twins!
Celebrate with mimosas!  The cork shot out and into our Igloo.  We left our mark!


I'm really hoping one of our neighbors discovered our igloo and let their kids play in it.  Or better yet, they played in it.  Igloos are a must!  Snowmen are so hard to make here due to the dry snow; however, we discovered igloos are much more fun!

I have been dying to sled and finally got my chance after a long day at a technology conference.  As I was driving home I saw many people out on this hill sledding.  I stopped and asked the sweetest family if I could join in.  They laughed at me while I asked questions about how to sled. 

This was AMAZING!  Hint: don't do what I did and create your own path.  Go down a path already made in the snow for a faster sledding experience. 

And this my friends is how you stop.  Ha.  I lost my balance.  
Our last snow of the year wouldn't be complete without a baby snowman.  The snow came immediately and within an hour we had an inch on our balcony.  With our last snow, I can say I am still in awe of snow.  It's just so serene and beautiful.  Until next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment